Russian work visa
A visa is an official document authorizing a foreign national to enter Russia. A work visa for Russia is issued to aliens for employment in Russia. Such a visa enables the foreigner to work and stay in Russia without leaving it for the duration of the term of the visa issued based on a work permit, as well as exiting and entering Russia any number of times.
How to obtain a work visa for Russia
- Terms and procedure: A foreigner can only obtain a work visa if he holds a work permit and in some cases if the employer has a permit to hire a foreign employee. Then the employer must obtain an invitation for the foreigner, i.e. a special document saying that the purpose of the foreigner’s entry in the RF is «employment». Once in receipt of that invitation, the foreign national can go to an RF consulate. An invitation for a work visa will be issued by Russian Interior Ministry Migration Service for the organizations that have filed a request for employing a foreign national. Work visas for Russia are issued to foreigners subject to a number of special provisions that the foreign worker should be aware of when applying for an employment visa. The following describes how to obtain a work visa for Russia:
- Obtain a single-entry invitation for a period of up to 90 days. Using this invitation, you can obtain a single-entry employment visa with a term of up to 90 days from a Russian consulate. The RF consulate will tell you how much a work visa for Russia costs in your country. Exceptions: Foreigners with a Highly Qualified Specialist status are issued a multiple-entry visa by default
- Your single-entry visa will be reissued as a multiple-entry by the Russian Interior Ministry Migration Service upon request from your employer when you enter Russia. All you need is a valid work permit (plastic card). The statutory time for a single-entry work visa to be reissued as a multiple-entry one for Russia is up to 20 days. But exceptions may apply: on the basis of international agreements between the RF and France, South Korea and Mongolia (as at 1 November 2017) make step two unnecessary since an invitation is all that Russian consulates need to issue a multiple-entry employment visa. The same applies to highly qualified specialists (HQS). They are issued a 3-year work visa for Russia directly upon filing their work visa paperwork with a consulate.
- The final result of the procedure: Invitation and Visa
- List of required documents: For details of the paperwork required for this service, visit the website of the Russian Interior Ministry Migration Service or send us an enquiry.
- Sample documents: For sample documents required for this service, visit the website of the Russian Interior Ministry Migration Service or send us an enquiry
Rights and duties of a foreign national staying in Russia on an employment visa:
- A work visa enables the foreign worker to enter RF to work as an employee or an independent contractor
- A holder of work visa is entitled to be employed by Russian corporates in the position specified in the work permit
If requested by an employer, a multiple-entry work visa for Russia shall be issued by the RF member’s Russian Interior Ministry Migration Service and can be renewed without the foreign national leaving the RF